Few experiences are as life changing as being diagnosed with cancer. But even more important than the diagnosis is what happens next. Cancer is treatable. If you or someone you love has received a cancer diagnosis, Sovah Health is here for you - providing compassionate cancer care and support close to home.ent.
Cancer Types & Treatments
- Breast Cancer
- Colorectal Cancer
- Kidney Cancer
- Bladder Cancer
- Lung Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Stomach and Esophageal Cancer
- Most common cancers treated
A Team Approach
Many different cancer doctors and cancer-specific health professionals work together to coordinate your care. Haywood Regional has a weekly meeting called Tumor Board, where cases are looked at individually to come up with an action of care plan. You can rest assured you are receiving quality and personalized cancer care with a team-approach. Your cancer care team at Haywood Regional may include:
- Medical Oncologists. Oversee chemotherapy, immunotherapies, and targeted treatments when they are part of your cancer treatment plan.
- Radiation Oncologists. Targeted and shortened courses of radiation therapy may be used to shrink tumors before or after surgery. Duke radiation oncologists will also teach you techniques to minimize radiation exposure to your normal healthy tissues.
- General Surgeons.
- Nurse Navigator.
- You may also interact with counselors, nutritionists, pharmacists, social workers, and other cancer-specific caregivers who support you and your cancer treatment.
For more information about our Cancer Services, call 800.424.DOCS (3627).
Nurse Navigator Program
Our innovative Nurse Navigator program matches those diagnosed with breast or lung cancer with a nurse navigator that walks them step by step throughout the cancer treatment process. Patients coping with biopsy or a cancer diagnosis and treatment now have unique professional advocates on their healthcare team. Our Nurse Navigator is uniquely skilled at helping support and guide cancer patients and their families throughout their course of medical treatment. The nurse navigator assists with:
- Patient appointments
- Providing educational materials
- Assesses the medical, emotional and social needs of patients
- Educates on treatment options
- Provides resources and support systems, etc. and can assist the patient in navigating all aspects of their care.
- Works to eliminate barriers to care and follows up with medical staff to monitor and track patient care
To contact our Nurse Navigator use the information provided below:
Johanna R. Dewees, BSN
Haywood Breast Center’s program is designed to provide each patient with comprehensive and compassionate care. Beyond having state-of-the-art technology for early detection and the most current treatments available for a variety of breast conditions, each patient is viewed as an individual.
Lymphedema Physical Therapy
Following surgery, a certified physical therapist is available for lymphedema therapy to assess and help minimize arm swelling, if this develops. They can teach women how to identify the signs and symptoms of lymphedema so that treatment can be started in a timely manner.
Myriad Genetics Testing
Patients with hereditary risk may be tested for known cancerous genes and can be connected with certified genetics counselors and support services to better understand their personal risks.
Support Groups and/or Offerings:
HOPEful Living Women's Cancer Support Group
Meets 3rd Tuesday monthly at the Haywood Regional Health & Fitness Center
- Hospice and Palliative Care
- Ambulatory Infusion
- Behavioral Health Services
- Haywood Breast Center
- Cancer Services
- Cardiac Services
- Emergency Department
- Home Care Services
- Health & Fitness Center
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
- Interventional Pain
- Lung Cancer Screening
- Medical/Surgical Unit (Med Surg)
- Nutrition Education
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Occupational Health
- Osteoporosis Center
- Outpatient Surgery
- Progressive Care Unit (PCU)
- Rehabilitation & Physical Therapy
- Spine Care
- Thoracic & Vascular
- Urgent Care
- Vein Center
- Women's Care Center
- Wound Care
- Plastic Surgery